Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The 2 year old fell off the bed and I am not jumping up to Comfort Him

That's right - you heard it here first. His dad is doing just fine. Poor 4th child. Seriously though, he gets way more than enough attention. In fact I think that is my problem as a parent, I try to give all my kids as much attention as the first one got - which is, of course, physically impossible and will lead to suicidal ruminations. Where the hell did this standard come from? It's really not fair to compare myself with my own mother - she had 2 kids, 11 years apart, very much on purpose. She's a planner. So, yeah, we - my brother and I got equal amounts - perhaps different but nonetheless, equal attention.
Tonight at wrestling (my 9 and 6 year old boys just started wrestling) my 9 year old, Edan, threw a classic fit - all because I brought his shorts and not his sweats. I am sure you will remember with horror, that my kids don't wear underwear...well this is one reason why they should. Loose, baggy shorts are embarrassing to wrestle in and I really didn't think of that when I grabbed them but MAYBE that is because in the 45 minutes leading up to leaving (5 minutes late which I hate - hate - hate, being late) my son stayed in the car playing his PSP and I, slave-girl that I am, literally did the following:
Managed to make a sort of dinner for myself and baby out of literally no food. Tried to communicate with my husband. Texted back and forth negotiating with my 14 year old daughter, making sure she was safe on the bus. Took all the soapy dishes out of the suddenly broken (but brand new!?!?) dishwasher, rinsed, dried and put them away. Did all the sink full of nasty, coffee ground covered dishes. Tidied up the house a bit. Cleaned poop up off the highchair as my 2 year old hysterically pooped in his underwear/diapers (see previous blog post) while literally eating my sandwich and then right when I am heading out the door with wrestling shoes, socks and appropriate leg coverings, my 6 year old has to...you guessed it! Poop! So, that took another million years.
So when my 9 year old freaked out about the shorts, well, I lost it. Suffice it to say, finger nails (mine) were dug into arms (his) and threats were made - mean, mean, immature threats and many tears were shed. His and mine. Amends remain to be made on either side. I have simply had it tonight. I have nothing left. If I had the money in the bank, I kid you not, I would go get a (nice-ish) hotel room, all to myself.
I went to the dentist today and let me tell you, it was the calmest, nicest part of the day. He told me he hears that all the time.

1 comment: